Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hills are my friend?!

No, I never thought I would say that either. But after last night’s hill workout, my attitude towards hill has changed. Something happened when I ran up that first hill. Something strange and wonderful. Instead of feeling terrible and out of breath, I felt, well, not terrible. Possibly even good. I ran up a hill without feeling like collapsing at the top and somehow this gave me the confidence and energy to tackle the next seven hills.

I think that this is the first time that I have every really felt progress or improvement in running. When I got to the top of that first hill I actually thought to myself “Wow, maybe my strength has improved!” I slowly started to understand what runners mean when they say “hills are your friend.” They’re your friend because they make you a better and stronger runner. They’re not your best friend that you want to call up regularly for a coffee date. They’re more like your “tells it like it is” friend who is always honest with you, even when it’s not what you want to hear. Not to get carried away, I’m sure I’ll still dread the nine hills that are planned for next week as they approach. But I’ll also look forward to the benefits they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment